Sunday, July 17, 2011

Is achebe right

I found this interesting... someone from the Save Nigeria group on Facebook asked "Is Achebe right? 'A true patriot will always demand the highest standards of his country and accept nothing but the best for and from his people. He will be outspoken in condemnation of their short-comings without giving way to superiority, despair or cynicism. This is my idea of a patriot.'-Chinua Achebe in "The Trouble With Nigeria"."


My response... "He is missing one thing.... A patriot should not only highlight the problems and expect better, but be a catalyst for improvement, Embody the things he expects, and constantly add to the discussion of things that move us towards a solution...."


I might not always agree with this Save Nigeria Group. I actually think it sometimes crosses the line to endorse candidates when the members have not agreed, but hey, its facebook. I just signed up to see what they have to say. But I feel like we take alot of time to "say" than to "do" Its just as bad as those who stand quiet to let it happen, but just a lot noisier. I know people say its not easy to take action in a society that has some of the problems so deep rooted, but i think at some point, a stance needs to be made. People need to mass together to say its enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Miss Adelaja. I'm a student, an artist, a fashionista, an innovator, and entreprenuer. Watch me as I navigate through this thing called life on a mission to succeed. Who know where it will lead me? US, Naija, Europe, the Moon. Lets go there. I know you will enjoy the ride.