Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Techie Tuesday!!! June 26, 2011

So I really had a tech filled weekend and week. It all started on the Monday of last week. The heat was so intense that Monday. All of a sudden 2 of the three air conditioners in our office konk out. They just die along with 4 computers in my office that fried… Well actually the hard drives fried. I usually tunnel into these computers to large statistical analyses.

So there I was stuck with no way to use those computers. But I wasn’t worried. I think to myself “no sweat! I’ll just do some writing on my computer. I try to use my laptop and all of a sudden, the screen is flickering and then blows out. WHOA! WTH! The devil is a liar! TD Jakes, please hold me back because my temper's about boiling! I try to restart it and all I get is a computer that is on with no screen! See my life! OMG!

So I run to the computer lady and we deduce that the HEAT… yes good old mother nature…. Is responsible for my laptop too. I have an HP TX2500 convertible tablet which I love so dearly. What I don’t love however, is how HP designed the fan system and motherboard. Apparently the computer overheats because there is some coil or something that is in the wrong place. The overheated computer fried the battery, caused my charging plug to catch on fire and …. Caused my video card to fry, thus no laptop to work with. Thank God that he spared my hard drive.

The obituary read as follows…
“After 4 faithful years, Angelito-PC, the convertible tablet has died. It died of video card failure and motherboard overheating, but had complications of the battery. Angelito-PC being of good nature was listed as an organ donor and decided to donate its parts to the Angel Fund on Ebay, the Angel fund puts money in the pocket of …Angel. Angelito-PC died on Monday and the funeral was on Friday. It is survived only by a hard drive. It will be greatly missed.”

Poor Angelito-PC…. That was her name. She was so faithful. Most people who have HP tablets part with it after two years, but she gave me 4 good long years. :)

Anyway, to make a long story short… Luckily, my hard drive was intact. I channeled the inner techie in me and bought an ASUS from BestBuy. Those geek squad guys there are money hungry. They wanted to sell me glorified crap. I’m not paying $1000 for something that runs just like a $300 machine. Anyway through the power of Google I did some investigation and found that ASUS seems pretty good. They started by making motherboards, but now make laptops and what not. They don’t come in fancy boxes, they don’t come with lots of paper and instructions, they don’t have bells and whistles like fingerprint readers or iris scanner or touch screens but they have a sturdy, functional, design and they are FAST. I made it even faster by switching out the hard drive myself with a faster one (7200 RPM), and turned the original ASUS hard drive that came in the computer and the tablet hard drives both into bootable external hard drives! Yay me! So now I have 3 computers in 1. Lol. That’s my techie Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Miss Adelaja. I'm a student, an artist, a fashionista, an innovator, and entreprenuer. Watch me as I navigate through this thing called life on a mission to succeed. Who know where it will lead me? US, Naija, Europe, the Moon. Lets go there. I know you will enjoy the ride.