Sunday, July 17, 2011

Why am I still here?

Okay, so when I opened this blog, had a revelation that I really need to serve MY people. Who are my people? My Nigerian kindred. I felt a social responsibility to go back and bring my talents to Nigeria. I was so young... a little bit naive, and a lotta bit bold. I was ready to move back INSTANTLY. Here's the thing. Both of my parents were in the United States, well my mom was back and forth, but I grew up in the USA and I didn't fully understand the dynamics of the Nigerian culture.

Anyway a lot of things have happened since then and now. I've grown a few grey hairs (metaphorically speaking), and I have experienced a little more of Nigeria, the Good, the Bad and the Mushin.lol And I have come to realize a few things. I've come to accept these things, and even with knowing these things, I still have the  fire in my belly to take my behind to Nigeria.... I think that speaks wonders.

Anyway this is what I realized...

1) Nigeria is a very funny place. Nothing is as it seems. No one is as they seem and have to sort of grow and open your third eye.

2) Nigerian time doesnt just apply to parties... one hour is five, one month is one year, and you better have backups for my backups because having that deal done by tomorrow is really having it indefinitely postponed in some cases.

3) Words are words, they really mean nothing. Yes means maybe, Maybe means don't hold your breathe, and no means they will be doing it without you.

4) Agenda is the word of the day. Everyone has one. Friends, Family, coworkers, etc. I may not be your friend because I like you, but because of my agenda, I may not marry you because I love you, but because of agenda, I may not fund your business because I believe it will succeed, but because I can hold it over your relatives head that I helped you. lol

I could go on and on, but at least i've learned a few things. That being said. WHAT AM I still doing here????? Why am I still in the US of A?

Well you can't just up and dash to Nigeria. You need to test the waters, you need to go in phases. You need to strategize. You also need to psych yourself out. I think I'm doing just that.

My friend said Nigeria is an Extended camping trip. You dont go without being prepared. After all, just like camping there may be no light or running water, but there will definitely be mosquitoes. You need to get all your camping gear ready for Nigeria.

Anyway as the planning stage has come to an end I feel like I will start taking that trip pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Miss Adelaja. I'm a student, an artist, a fashionista, an innovator, and entreprenuer. Watch me as I navigate through this thing called life on a mission to succeed. Who know where it will lead me? US, Naija, Europe, the Moon. Lets go there. I know you will enjoy the ride.