Sunday, July 17, 2011

Is Nigeria Natural Friendly? and "Whats a 4b?"

All day I've been looking for how to maintain natural hair in Nigeria. And all i have to say is "discouraging". 


I read one blog about how a girl who kept her hair natural in Nigeria would get told by coworkers that its distracting and unprofessional. I saw the pictures and her twists looked so nice and professional. Check out her story here


I seems Nigerians are notjustokay with natural hair. Check out these comments on Black Girl Long Hair  


unless its fake natural style. lol 


But there are a few that really embrace it.
http://naturalnigerian.com/
http://omalichadiaries.blogspot.com/2011/06/natural-hair-in-nigeria.html
 They even have a Natural Hair Meet-up. I hope they have one when I visit. 





I read the same issues with natural hair at work thing here too


But I read further on this site and I love it. Leave in the Kinks 


 It reminded me of how I got back to my natural style in college. I used to rock afros and twists so much back then. 
Now i just wear weaves and braids to protect my hair. But every once in a while, I want to go natural with my hair blown out, or twisted or pressed. And I dont always want to do it myself. I would love if there was a place in Lagos or Abuja where I could go and get my hair done, get my hair trimmed, get it deep conditioned. I guess I just have to set up a little hair salon in my room whenever I go. 


While we the topic of hair.... as I was searching online I kept seeing "pressing techniques for 4b", blowout for 4a etc. I kept wondering what people meant by my hair is 4a, 4c 4b. I was thinking color cuz im a 1b, but sometimes i like to add a little 33... boy was i wrong. It refers to texture of the hair. Find out your texture here http://www.naturallycurly.com/​hair-types.found out I'm like a mix of 4a and 4b strands randomly mixed through




http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-type-guide.html

I also found these cool videos that show the different hair types http://youtu.be/34kzsNytvWA

1 comment:

  1. I hope you've found better products now.
    There are more products in nigeria thankfully so being natural is fun and easy.
    Also there's a community of natural hairlista's and that's great as you can share information and tips.
    I also blog about my natural hair.

    Www.thelifeofbey.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm Miss Adelaja. I'm a student, an artist, a fashionista, an innovator, and entreprenuer. Watch me as I navigate through this thing called life on a mission to succeed. Who know where it will lead me? US, Naija, Europe, the Moon. Lets go there. I know you will enjoy the ride.